Brand Lab Media is an advertising agency owned by two brothers in Loveland, Colorado. Learn how they managed local presence with dbaPlatform.
Webinar recap: "Near You" Advertising & Performance Max
"Near me" advertising has become a standard for local businesses. But what if the customer doesn't know they want your product? This webinar explains the history of "Near me" advertising and its evolution into "Near you" advertising that combines product awareness with fulfillment options.
Part 1 starts at 01:36 - "Near Me" search growth
Starting in 2004, Google began to identify local intent in search. There was extreme growth, which continues to this day, with a seasonal pattern with spikes in summer.
The continued expansion in local search can be attributed to various factors, such as the proliferation of mobile devices, users' increasing reliance on "near me" searches to find relevant information, and Google's improved capability to meet consumer demand effectively.
In response to this trend, Google introduced three primary advertising formats, enabling businesses to better connect with nearby consumers.
Part 2 starts at 03:53 - "Near Me" advertising formats
The three advertising formats that Google introduced to businesses all serve the purpose of driving in-store visits and purchases. The three formats include Local Inventory Ads, Local Campaigns, and Vehicle Listing Ads.
Segment Reference Articles:
Part 3 starts at 06:07 - The limits of "Near Me"
For local retailers, the options for advertising provide an opportunity to be front and center to the consumers who know what they want and are ready to purchase, get driving directions, etc. But there remains a gap for local retailers - how do they drive awareness and purchases to consumers who do not know about their store, product, and services?
E-commerce brands have seen success and have closed this gap with DTC ads - allowing consumers to discover brands and easily make purchases. What is local's version of this? Something we like to call Performance Max for "Near You."
Part 4 starts at 07:57 - Performance Max for "Near You"
"Near You" Performance Max campaigns build awareness while promoting fulfillment.
Performance Max targets consumers regardless of content adjacency and focuses on getting your advertisement to the right people at the right time, letting them know your products, services, and business are available today.
With Performance Max for "Near You," businesses get awareness & fulfillment in one ad format across all Google surfaces.
Part 5 starts at 10:00 - History and Overview of Performance Max
Performance Max was first made available by Google in 2021. It is a goal-based campaign that helps advertisers achieve their conversion goals across all of Google's channels, including Search, Display, YouTube, Discover, Gmail, and Maps. It uses machine learning to optimize campaigns for performance and can help advertisers reach new audiences and drive more conversions.
Pmax helps find customers while optimizing for the highest ROAS.
Part 6 starts at 13:00 - Performance Max through the funnel
Performance Max reaches new and identified ideal consumers through every part of the conversion funnel.
- Display Ads - Google's display network includes 2 million websites and apps where ads can appear. Display ads reach 90% of web users worldwide. This format helps with acquisition and prospecting.
- YouTube Ads - Short pre-rolled video ads related to the category of interest with a possibly new product or company. The ad may have nothing to do with the user's video content but will be related to the consumer's identified interests.
- Discovery Ads - These ads are visually engaging and personalized. Google's Machine Learning is used to identify users most likely to engage with a business based on interests and browsing behavior. These are commonly visible on Android, the Google app, and the home screen on Chrome.
- Gmail Ads - These take on a view similar to an actual email but are very clearly labeled as ads. These are great ads for consumers in the awareness and consideration stages.
- Map Ads - These ads appear on the map pack and when consumers perform actions such as looking for store hours or directions. These are highly targeted and are used for consumers in the decision-making stage.
- Shopping Ads - These play a critical role in the PMax funnel. Shopping Ads/ Local Inventory Ads will show on the top of Google search. They are proven high-performing ads, delivering higher ROAS than other formats. First place ad will get 75% of all clicks
Watch this section to see visuals of all ad types across multiple types of industries.
Part 7 starts at 23:12 - Case Study for Performance Max for "Near You"
dbaPlatform recently partnered with Google on an Ad pilot for Pmax with vehicle feeds. The testing framework included side by side comparison with traditional vehicle ads. A few note-worthy results included:
- 48% Increase in conversions
- 41% Increase in conversion value
- 19% Decrease in cost per conversion
Google references our case study in its materials.
Segment Reference Articles:
Part 8 starts at 25:01 - Done for You Advertising
dbaPlatform offers solutions that are fully managed on Google and Microsoft. Additionally, there is a Done by You option that still covers the tricky parts of set-up, and troubleshooting.
Learn more here.
Part 8 starts at 26:10 - Expert Q&A
The below questions are summarized. Watch the full section for expanded answers, and DM us on Instagram if you have any additional questions.
- Is an advertiser allowed to choose industries?
- Performance Max will optimize itself. Pmax ads are based on Geography and apply across industries.
- Is it possible to opt-out and only run Map Ads on Pmax?
- No, because PMax is a comprehensive solution that uses all surfaces and ad types to understand consumer intent and serve ads to the right people at the right time.
- Is Pmax for "Near You" suitable for service businesses?
- Yes, many advertisers believe you need a large budget and a large brand to run PMax. However, this is an excellent option for smaller businesses and chains as it allows you to reach a broad audience without running multiple campaigns. PMax's machine learning will help narrow the target and provide greater ROAS.
- How do you optimize for the most clicks and impressions?
- You don't. PMax is a mind-shift - clicks and impressions do not truly prove success. PMax is optimizing for the goal you set and is trying to get you the best possible ROAS.
- How do I best promote my Google business listing?
- You can drive ads to your business listing. Still, it is critical to feed inventory (auto or retail) to Google and optimize overall listing with updated information, frequent posting, review response, etc.